While playing with my new remote server from tektonic I installed and setup virtual domain hosting for various subdomains of entek.org.uk (including blog.entek.org.uk ). Additionally, with the help of Tim I set up subversion and trac and created repositories for my config files and for my third year project. I’ve even already got some tickets I’ve filed against my 3rd year project!
Since I have this new server I have complete control over, and is accessible from anywhere with an internet connection I decided that it would be a good idea to set up duplicates of the websites I work on when emplyed during the holidays. Additionally I will be able to use svn for revision control of them, so no more developing on the live system and easy reverting to old versions.
I then decided to dig out a backup of work’s websites I happened to have lying around (although it’s from December, so just a “little” out of date). Since I was feeling lazy, and it was convenient at the time I decided to plug the USB storage device the backups were stored on into my desktop (running Windows XP) and use samba to get the files onto my laptop (running Debian). Upon connecting to my desktop I found that smbclient just quit with an error, ‘tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_INSUFF_SERVER_RESOURCES’. Google appeared to be not terribly fothcoming with a solution, but some refinement of the search found a Tips and Tricks page with a solution. Apparently Windows was being speshul (surprise, surprise!) and by (creating and )editing the DWORD registry value at “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\IRPStackSize” to be higher than the XP default (15 or 0xf) everything magically started working. I used the value suggested by the website of 17 (or 0x11). Just remember that the value you’re putting in is in hex, or you could get a nice surprise ;).